Department: Polk County Middle School
Reports to: Principal/Head Custodian
Job Summary: To maintain the school facility in accordance with the essential functions listed below.
1. Assist in maintaining the school grounds as needed.
- Remove trash.
- Keep drains open.
- Trim shrubbery, grass and trees as needed.
- Clean sidewalks and outside door mats.
- Scrape parking lots and clean ice and snow from walkways.
2. Maintain interior buildings.
- Vacuum/sweep classrooms in assigned area.
- Sweep halls at least once each day in assigned area.
- Clean assigned bathrooms daily.
- Empty all trashcans in assigned area once each day.
- Other areas as assigned.
3. Clean up after emergencies: vomit, spills, bathroom accidents, etc.
4. Secure all rooms/buildings after cleaning.
5 Work cooperatively with the other custodian and other staff members.
6. Perform additional tasks during the summer or when assigned.
- Clean and refinish gym floor.
- Clean, wax, and buff tile floors in all buildings.
- Clean and refinish hallways in all buildings.
- Wash windows in all buildings and gym.
- Clean ceiling fans.
- Clean all window blinds in the buildings.
- Clean carpets.
7. Perform other custodial/maintenance tasks as needed.
8.Provide assistance in setting up for special events.
9.Assist Head Custodian with mechanical systems and troubleshooting those systems when necessary.
10.Assist Head Custodian in performing preventative maintenance on all mechanical and electrical systems.
11.Assist Head Custodian in performing minor repairs that may be needed within ability and tools that is beyond the ability of custodians.
1. Other duties as assigned by the Head Custodian or Principal.
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- High School diploma preferred.
- Previous experience with commercial cleaning preferred.
- Hold a valid NC bus driver’s license.
Terms of Employment: 12 months – Custodian Salary Scale $12.07 per hour
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of Board of Education policy, North Carolina statutes for support personnel and goals established by the Principal.
This position requires moderate to heavy lifting as much as fifty pounds, much walking, walking up and down steps, and working in hilly areas. It also requires work outside in grassy areas and in shrubbery where pollen might be present.
School Bus Driver
Reports to: Transportation Director and Principal
To provide safe bus transportation for school children, assuring that each child is picked up and delivered on schedule.
1. Transport children to and from school efficiently and safely.
2. Ensure that all passengers are properly seated when bus is in motion.
3. Ensure that any behavioral issues do not compromise the safety of any child on the
bus. Report those students who do not follow driver’s instructions to school principal
using the Disciplinary Referral form.
4. Follow all bus procedures/rules at all times.
5. Continuous collaboration with school staff, families and Transportation Director to
design efficient bus routes.
6. Complete accident/incident reports as appropriate.
7. Perform a complete visual pre-trip safety check on a daily basis. Perform a post-trip
inspection to ensure no one has been left on bus.
8. Keep interior of bus clean daily and bus exterior as needed.
9. Report any needed repairs to bus mechanic in writing using maintenance form.
10. Attend trainings or meetings as required by Transportation Director or Principal.
1. Other duties as assigned by the Transportation Director or Principal.
Education, Experience and Skills required:
1. Valid commercial driver’s license, Class B with P and S Endorsements, and driving
record free of any moving violations within the last three (3) years
2. NC School Bus Driver’s Pocket Card
3. Must be at least 18 years of age
4. Pediatric CPR/First Aid – certified within 30 days of hire date
Terms of Employment: 10 months – Bus Driver Salary Scale $13.74 an hour
Polk County Schools
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the provision of the Board of Education’s policy on Evaluation.
Daily sitting, about 85% of driving time.