Teacher Assistant – PK-3
Department: Polk Central School
Reports to: Principal
Job Summary: To provide assistance to teachers in providing high quality, active learning experiences for all children in a safe, caring, and respectful environment by implementing the essential functions listed below:
1. Assist with instruction.
- Prepare materials according teacher directions.
- Assist in administering student assessments.
- Lead small group activities.
- Interact with students in centers.
- Work with individual students.
- Perform other instructional tasks assigned by the supervising teacher(s)or the school administration.
2. Assist with student supervision.
- Monitor students during lunch.
- Assist with other supervision tasks as assigned by the supervising teacher(s) or the school administration.
3. Perform clerical tasks.
- Check student papers and folders.
- Collect and correctly record money.
- Assist with other record keeping and clerical tasks assigned by the supervising teacher(s).
4. Communicate appropriately within and about the educational environment.
- Demonstrate an understanding of appropriate confidentiality.
- Maintain a positive, professional tone of voice when speaking with other staff members and parents.
- Maintain a serious, caring tone of voice when dealing with students.
- Treat students fairly.
- Follow the teacher’s classroom management/behavior plan.
5. Assist the teacher with classroom appearance.
- Arrange furniture in the classroom.
- Prepare bulletin boards.
6. Hold a valid bus driver’s license and drive a bus as needed for field trips and as substitute drivers.
Polk County Schools
Education, Experience, and Skills Required:
- High school diploma.
- Prior experience working with children is preferred
- Hold a valid NC bus driver’s license (effective for assistants hired beginning 2000-2001)
Terms of Employment: 10 months – Teacher Assistant Salary Scale
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of Board of Education policy, North Carolina statutes, and goals established by the Principal.
Usual classroom working conditions.