MASTER TEACHER LEADER - MIDDLE GRADES MATH/TITLE 1 EOY 2021-2022
Looking to become a licensed teacher in North Carolina? Our friends at TeachNC offer free tools and resources for future teachers like you. Click here to learn more!
- Job ID: 3515836
- Application Deadline:
June 4, 2021
May 4, 2021
- Starting Date:
Enter your email to receive job alerts when new jobs like this one are posted.
Classroom Teacher > Middle Grades
The Master Teacher Leader – Middle Grades Math is a school-based teacher leader who helps foster the development and growth of middle school math teachers for the purpose of improving teacher efficacy and student learning and achievement. This position provides vision and leadership for teacher growth by working in close collaboration with principals, school leadership teams, PLC’s and math teachers. Supports the building of instructional capacity among math teachers to meet the goals for math curriculum implementation in grades 6-8.
The position assumes a variety of roles in supporting math teachers, including, but not limited to:
- Mentor: supports individual or groups of math teachers in determining the best course of action to carry out specific instructional tasks and meet specific content objectives
- Instructional Coach: helps math teachers close the learning and application gap by transferring skills and knowledge obtained in professional learning opportunities into practice and better utilize math instructional resources to enhance teaching and learning
- Professional Developer: helps math teachers acquire new skills and knowledge through custom-designed, job-embedded learning activities based on needs assessments
- Data Reviewer: guides math teachers in interpreting and understanding formative and summative assessment data and modifying instructional practices to increase student mastery of learning objectives
As a result of the master teacher’s leadership, math teachers improve their teaching practices as evidenced in their North Carolina Educator Evaluation System (NCEES) evaluations.
Essential Duties: (These duties represent a sample and may be adjusted based on the needs of new teachers and schools.)
- Serves as the grade level professional learning community (PLC) lead to ensure teachers are able to understand the district’s math curriculum units and lessons and deliver effective instruction to students
- Engages math teachers to collaborate with one another within and outside of professional learning communities (PLC)
- Uses best practices of adult learning to plan and facilitate regularly scheduled training and professional support to help teachers acquire and build a repertoire of skills to meet the needs of every student.
- Supports math teachers in acquiring and building a repertoire of skills to meet the needs of every student. Includes co-teaching and modeling lessons.
- Works with school leaders and facilitators in using effective observation and feedback techniques to support math teachers
- Provides training and support for math teachers in the following areas: math content knowledge, evidence of student learning, data analysis and evidence-based instructional practices
- Assists math teachers with understanding student diversity and differentiating instruction to personalize learning opportunities for students
- Collaborates with colleagues in district departments and other schools to enhance his/her own learning and share growth opportunities for math teachers
- Maintains records of support for math teachers
- Participates in district-wide professional learning opportunities
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in math, education or a related field
- Two years of successful math teaching or math leadership experience
- One year of effective math teacher leadership experience
- Master’s degree in math, education or related field
- Three or more years of successful math teaching or related school-based experience
- Two or more years of highly effective teacher leadership experience
Licensing / Certification Requirements: NC Middle Grades Math licensure or K-6 licensure with 6th Grade Math
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Ability to advocate for new teachers and their professional growth
- Knowledge of the North Carolina Standard Course of Study for math at all grade levels
- Knowledge of best practices for effective teaching and student assessment
- Knowledge of the challenges facing staff, students and families in low wealth schools
- Knowledge of professional development techniques and adult learning theory
- Mastery of current teaching methodologies and best practices.
- Ability to use collaborative communication and coaching skills in diverse groups
- Ability to effectively discern the professional development needs of the new teacher and model effective strategies
- Ability to collaborate with school leaders and teachers to create change in classrooms
- Flexibility to adjust priorities and assume new responsibilities based on school needs
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Proficient in 21st century technology teaching tools.
Classroom Teacher > Math: General
Equal Opportunity Employer
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation.
The content you submit, offer, contribute, attach, post, or display (each a “Submission”) will viewed by other users of the service who may or may not be accurately representing who they are or who they represent. Do not include any sensitive data in your submissions. Any submission or any use or reliance on any content or materials posted via the service or obtained by you through the use of the service is at your own risk. “Sensitive data” for purposes of this section means social security or other government-issued identification numbers, medical or health information, account security information, individual financial account information, credit/debit/gift or other payment card information, account passwords, individual credit and income information or any other sensitive personal data as defined under applicable laws.